Any time I smell fresh basil, I start to crave caprese salad. There’s nothing more refreshing to me on a hot day! The only problem- I don’t eat cheese made from cows. Solution- make my own! This Mozzarella is perfectly paired with garden fresh tomatoes and basil, or in any cool salad. If you’re looking for the kind that melts on your pizza, this isn’t it. Although, it might be worth a try on vegan pizza margherita!
Vegan Tofu Mozzarella
Whisk together in a bowl that can be airtight, like a Pyrex bowl with a lid:
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp agave
- 1 Tbsp tahini
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup canola or other flavorless oil
Press, cube, and toss into liquid:
- 1 block extra firm tofu
Cover and let marinate in fridge, at least 4 hours. The longer it sits, the more intense the cheese flavor.
Vegan Caprese Salad
Gently toss in bowl:
- 1/2 cup cubed vegan tofu mozzarella, lightly drained
- 1/2 cup heirloom cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- About 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Drizzle of balsamic vinegar, about 1 tsp, to taste
- Fresh cracked pepper
- Fresh ground sea salt, or pinch salt
Garnish with whole fresh basil leaves. Serve immediately, or store in fridge until ready.